Monday, March 5, 2012

Audio-Technica AT2035

This was my first large-diaphragm condenser purchase. I had used AT products in the past so I had confidence in the quality of this mic. I was not disappointed. This mic is fantastic for vocals and instruments.



I first used it to simply mic my friend's rapping. I don't record a lot of rap, so I just looked for a good vocal mic in general and this was great. It was "light" rapping so not too much yelling or anything and it sounded great on the mic. I did not need the 10dB pad even for rapping.

Next, I used it on acoustic guitar. I aimed it at the 12th fret from about 6-8 inches away and once again, it sounded fantastic. Even on a quiet source, this mic sounded good, with no noise from the electronics. The frequency response is pretty flat for this mic and it was apparent on the guitar.

Lastly, I used this mic for my girlfriend's singing. It handled a female voice well. I continue to use it for this purpose.

I have bought more expensive mics since purchasing this one, but I find myself turning to it when I need an extra mic for general purposes in a pinch when it just needs to sound good. For a starter home studio, I would highly recommend it. I have also used the AT2020 and I find this one sounds smoother and fuller. If you're looking for a nice mic at a good price, you can't go wrong with the AT2035. It'll serve you well for a long time!

No comments:

Post a Comment