Thursday, February 9, 2012

Audio Technica AT2020 Side Address Cardiod Condensor Studio Mic

I purchased the Audio-Technica AT2020 to support webinars and voiceovers for short instructional videos I produce for my business. I also use it to support LiveChat sessions for online college courses that I teach. After using the inexpensive Logitech or Microsoft USB headset mics in the past, all I can say is the sound quality of this microphone BLOWS THEM AWAY. The difference was like switching from a 1920's victrola to the latest digitally mastered music. Gone are the drop-outs and tin-can voice sounds with heavy breathing in between. High-end users who regularly do studio work may find fault with some of the details of this microphone, but for novices like me, it's the cat's payamas.



My Windows PC recognized it immediately, and after adjusting the input levels within Control Panel, I was quickly sounding like "professional radio guy" in a matter of minutes. Sensitivity seems to be just right. I can sit back comfortably in my chair, and the mic picks up every nuance and golden tone of my voice. I'm also impressed at how little ambient noise it picks up. My desktop box has a noisy fan, and the mic is only two feet away from it. However, I barely noticed the fan hum in the playback, and then only slightly when listening through headphones. Playback on the PC's speakers did not noticeably reflect the background noise.

I'm very happy with this purchase, and unless you have extremely high demands for your voice work, this mic is an excellent bargain in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment