Friday, February 24, 2012

Audio Technica ATH-A900

I entered the "audiophile" scene about 4 years ago (and promptly exited it no more than a year later). In my quest for a perfect set of headphones at the time, I scoured the established forums, read all the reviews, bought and sold several pairs of headphones before realizing that I wasn't, in fact, the prototypical "audiophile": someone obsessed more with the analyzing the quality of acoustic reproduction than the enjoyment of music.



While there are headphones out there that are more faithful in reproduction of recordings, the A900's were far and away the most *enjoyable* headphones of all that I had tried - their low impedance meant that they did not require an amp in order to sound their best, and their enveloping, large sound stage - even though "warm" and with a slight over-emphasis on the bass by audiophile standards - makes music sound so, so wonderful. They were, and I imagine still are, the best bang for the buck under $200.

The only negatives I can think of, have to do with fit of the headphones. They are *extremely* comfortable, utilizing a "wing" design that comforms to your head, but the closed-nature of the headphones can leave your ears sweaty after an hour or so of non-stop listening. This is hardly a fault, and certainly not something that should sway a potential purchase, but something I thought worth mentioning.

I truly love these headphones, and my experience with other Audiotechnica cans leads me to believe that this model is the sweetspot of the line with respect to performance/price.

No comments:

Post a Comment