Thursday, February 16, 2012

Audio Technica ATLP120

Yes, I am an Audiophile. However, let me make this part clear: I have never owned a record player before. I was born in 1981, and have used them before, but usually belonging to people who have no measure of interest in high fidelity. My background is with digital fidelity. So, understand that while my review will be beaming, I don't have much to compare it to when it comes to other LP players.



That being said, however... How the heck did cd's ever, in a million years, overtake this medium!!!??? There is such an obvious, vibrant difference in dynamic range!

Now, I have to admit, I haven't liked cd's for a very long time now. I still buy dvd-audio discs all the time, and have a preference toward blu-ray lossless audio tracks... But, come on. CD's really suck. I cannot even fathom how the music industry is still making money off these things.

I've got several orchestral, symphonic, and new wave LP's, and the music they hold has finally been unleashed upon me in fuller, broader glory!

I spent over three hundred dollars to set up a hi fi system, including this turntable, a Shure M97xE stereo needle, and a Disc Washing system. I've got it connected to my Denon AVR-1911 7.1 a/v receiver, with my Energy Take Classic Home Theater speakers. I cannot bring myself to regret any part of this purchase. I was very concerned with the amount of money I'd have to put into this purchase, because it seemed like quite a bit for such a specialized field of listening to records. But once I cleaned my first album, and played it with the full set up, I was instantly pleased. For someone who takes pleasure in music, as I do, this was easily as good a purchase as my Oppo BDP-93 blu ray player; which I think I paid $500 for.

No comments:

Post a Comment